Saturday, 11 June 2016

An intro to (and the purpose of) this blog

I am, because we are!
(Image credits: dailyindia.org)
Hello everyone, this is Anirban Chatterjee, an avid fan of open-source (particularly Linux-related) development across the world. And well, I'm from India as you might have guessed by now (from the blog's title). I started this blog as a purely noncommercial, ad-free and cause-driven initiative, in order to serve a multitude of purposes. Some of these are:

1. To act as a repository of useful information related to Ubuntu and other Linux distros, where I store my solutions to the day-to-day problems I face while using Ubuntu as my primary OS.

2. To help me analyze my own progress as a Ubuntu user. 

3. Most importantly, to ensure that others (users like you) find answers to some of their problems on this blog. 

Of course, there are lots of other, better maintained and more sophisticated blogs out there, such as webupd8, OMGUbuntu etc. But my purpose is not to compete with them, and I don't intend to generate any revenue whatsoever from this blog anyway (I'm a hobbyist blogger, and my primary duties lie as a student).

A lot of people in India, my country, don't even use Ubuntu. And I see that things are getting grimmer by the day, with Windows 10 being released a free upgrade for users of genuine Windows 7 and Windows 8 distros. But most Indians would want to stay satisfied with their old, insecure and illegally copied and pirated Windows versions of 7, Vista and even XP! Therefore, it is, as I see it, our duty as Ubuntu users and FOSS enthusiasts, to share the word with the world.

ALL people may not find ALL answers here, but SOME people might find SOME answers! That's what powers my forward thrust, so far as this approach is concerned.

I have other, real-life responsibilities, so I can't guarantee regular and frequent updates. And I intend to take a rather informal approach anyway. I have other blogs to maintain, including my main site http://techtravelandtalks.blogspot.in/ and another blog on my city, Kolkata, http://calcuttacanvas.blogspot.in/ (which too is a cause-driven initiative like this).

If you like to share your own experience as a Ubuntu user, or just anything about open-source in general, you're MORE THAN WELCOME to join as a contributing author. Or else, you may wish to mail me to an email address (which I'll subsequently set up for this purpose) with a meaningful subject such as Linux Article and your article, which I can then publish with your name and any other details you may like.

And yes indeed, if you've read it this far, a very warm THANK YOU from me. :)

Your sincerely,
Anirban Chatterjee

No comments:

Post a Comment